Home|   Services & Meetings|   Christian Science Tenets|   Christian Comments|   Historical Sketch|   Gallery|   Contact Us|   Helpful Links

Menu

Historical Sketch

A public Christian Science service was first held in Lymington when five Christian Scientists met in the Philharmonic Hall, High Street, in April 1925. In February 1926 a more suitable meeting place was secured in the Masonic Hall, and in June of the same year, evening services were started. From March 1927, testimony meetings were held monthly during the summer months.

The new Masonic Hall having been built, the services were transferred to it in June 1927 and by October 1928 the number of students and regular attendants made it possible to organise a Community.

The Sunday School was inaugurated on April 8th, 1928.

The Society was recognised as a branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts, in November, 1932.

Later, the services were held in rented premises in Queen Street, until in 1954, the members decided to erect their own church building on a plot of land in Cannon Street, purchased in 1938. This was completed in 1955 and the first service was held on Thanksgiving Day, November 29th, 1955.

The Church was dedicated on 10th April 1960.

Christian Science Society, Lymington
  Cannon Street, Lymington   SO41 9BR             07519 569 154             clerk@christiansciencelymington.com